What is attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder? It is defined as a mental health disorder that includes a combination of persistent problems, such as difficulty paying attention, hyperactivity, and impulsive behavior.
Throughout life, almost everyone has similar symptoms of ADHD but those diagnosed with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder experience symptoms severe enough to disrupt multiple areas of their life.
Recognizing the Symptoms of ADHD
There are various ways ADHD symptoms present themselves in children and adults. Children typically show signs through hyperactivity, inattention, and impulsivity:
- Have trouble staying on task
- Trouble listening even when spoken to directly
- Interrupting or intruding on other’s conversations
- Constantly moving or fidgeting
- Struggles with attention to detail
- Difficulty staying seated in classrooms and other situations
For Adults it may also include:
- Frequent mood swings
- Poor planning and time management skills
- Difficulty coping with stress
- Excessive restlessness
- Problems completing tasks
ADHD Prognosis may be improved by:
- Behavioral therapy
- Stimulant medications prescribed by a doctor
- An eTNS device
- Social Skill Training
October is ADHD awareness month. If you or someone you know is struggling with ADHD symptoms we would love to start the conversation with you here at Rise Counseling and Diagnostics. Contact us today at 501-891-5492 to get started.