The term “sleep hygiene” refers to a series of healthy sleep habits that can improve your ability to fall asleep and stay asleep. Healthy sleep habits can improve your overall sleep health.
Some sleep tips to help maintain your sleep hygiene include:
- Keep a consistent sleep schedule
- Set a bedtime that allows for 7-8 hours of sleep
- Don’t get on electronics an hour or two before bed; try reading instead
- Create a relaxing bedtime routine for yourself
- Make your bedroom a relaxing space
- Limit exposure to bright light in the evenings
- Don’t eat a large meal right before bedtime
- Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet
- Avoid caffeine in the afternoon and evening
- Avoid consuming alcohol before bed
- Reduce your fluid intake before bed
- Use your bedroom for sleep only
There are approximately 80 different types of sleep disorders. Sleep difficulties can affect many people in the U.S. Some common sleep disorders include:
- The inability to initiate or maintain sleep. It may take the form of early morning awakening in which the individual wakes up several hours early and cannot return to sleep. Between 10-30% of adults struggle with chronic insomnia.
- Excessive daytime sleepiness or episodes of irresistible sleepiness. Sudden muscle weakness is one of the hallmark signs of narcolepsy.
Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS)
- RLS is characterized by an unpleasant “creeping” sensation that feels as if it comes from the lower legs. It is associated with aches and pains of the legs and is relieved by leg movement.
- Snoring may be a sign of sleep apnea. Those with sleep apnea will experience gasping or “snorting” noises in their sleep, during which their sleep is interrupted. These individuals may experience excessive daytime sleepiness due to interrupted sleep.
This week is National Sleep Awareness Week. At Rise Counseling & Diagnostics, we know that sleep is an important factor in the quality of life. If you or someone you know struggles with any of these key signs or symptoms, talk to a doctor or contact us today to Get Started.